There’s no way around it. One of the most effective ways to practice holistic dental water treatment is to correctly and regularly shock your dental unit waterlines.
Dental water treatment products are designed to effectively keep dental waterlines clean. Yet because they are continually present in dental waterlines, these products must be safe to drink. Containing only low-level antimicrobials, they are not strong enough to eliminate biofilm development. They are however capable of inhibiting biofilm growth.
A regular “shock” to the system is necessary for every water safety protocol to ensure even the most resistant biofilms are eradicated.
Dental waterline shocking is the artillery that clears the way for dental water treatment products to do their work most effectively.
When To Shock Your Dental Waterlines?
If you are using a Continuous Water Treatment Product…
Before Initial Use of A Water Treatment Product
As mentioned above, water treatment products effectively maintain already clean dental waterlines. Shock your dental unit waterlines prior to treatment to clear out biofilm and ensure that your treatments can do their job and protect your patients.
Every 1-3 Months (Check your Manufacturer’s Recommendations)
The best products treat dental unit waterlines anywhere between 1-3 months. Effective resistance against microbial growth slowly diminishes within this timeframe and biofilm counts can quickly rise towards the 500 CFU/mL limit.
Shocking your dental waterlines consistently purges out the regrown bacteria, restores a clean environment for continuous treatment, and ensures safe dental water.
If you are using only a Shock Treatment Product, Shock Every Week!
Without using any dental water treatment products, biofilm can re-attach and begin growth only 4 days after shocking your waterlines. This method of maintenance requires consistent attention, and shocking less than once a week can put your patients and practice at risk.
If you’re not using continuous treatment, shock your dental waterlines every week.
Regardless of The protocol you use, when your biofilm count reaches 200 CFU/mL – Shock!
Regardless of your treatment strategy, shocking your dental waterlines at the 200 CFU/mL mark ensures compliance with industry standards and provides the highest levels of protection for your patients.
The only way to know when biofilm levels reaches 200 CFU/mL is consistent (at least monthly) dental waterline testing.
How To Shock Your Dental Waterlines
Always check manufacturer’s instructions for your product. Different dental water treatment products call for different techniques and frequencies.
Here at ProEdge Dental Water Labs, we suggest using 1:13 Sodium Hypochlorite solution with 8.25% household bleach. Other shock products must remain in dental waterlines overnight to be effective, while bleach solutions eradicate biofilm in 10 minutes or less.
Some practices fear the corrosive mechanisms that bleach can incur on dental unit waterlines. However, corrosion from bleach solutions only becomes dangerous if remaining in dental waterlines for over 20 minutes. Bleach can wipe out biofilm in just 10 minutes, and careful shocking procedures can eliminate the risks associated with bleach corrosion.
For detailed instructions on shocking your dental waterlines with bleach, check out our Dental Waterline Shocking Quick Start Guide
How Do I Know What Kind of Shocking is Best For My Practice?
Our ProEdge Water Expert team is always ready to help you answer this question. With 15 years of experience helping professionals shock dental waterlines, we can help you shock regardless of what dental water treatment products you are using.
And though we do suggest the use of bleach, our expert team has experience with a wide spectrum of shock products and processes. Whatever you need, we are here to help.
Unsure what type of shocking is best for your practice? Call now at (888) 843-3343 for a Consultation with a ProEdge Dental Water Specialist