June 13, 2023
Why is treating necessary?
Treating waterlines is like the daily brushing and flossing of water maintenance–essential to maintain clean conditions. In order to stop bacteria from multiplying and forming potentially harmful biofilms, dental offices must utilize a continuous treatment product in their waterlines.
Treatments generally use a low-level antimicrobial to inhibit bacteria growth. Antimicrobials slow the spread of microorganisms which include bacteria, viruses, protozoans, and fungi such as mold and mildew. In the context of dental unit waterline maintenance, antimicrobials are used to keep bacteria from multiplying and forming a biofilm. Keep in mind that low-level antimicrobials, while important tools in infection prevention, are what we refer to as “maintainers.” They are essential in the waterline treatment process as they maintain and inhibit new bacterial growth, but they do not consistently destroy biofilm build-up (which is why you still need to shock your lines regularly).
You might think of antimicrobials as the equivalent of “picking up” your home after a deep clean. Without grabbing the loose socks and strewn-about shoes, your house will reach the point of needing a deep clean again far faster than it would without picking up.
What can I use for continuous treatment in dental unit waterlines?
The types of treatment options used for a continuous flow of low-level antimicrobials in waterlines are:
- Daily liquids
- Central water systems
To learn more about the importance of treating your waterlines, check out our Complete Guite to Treating Dental Unit Waterlines.
June 13, 2023
Suggested for You